3 Poems by Ching-In Chen

28 May 2010
3 Poems by Ching-In Chen
Personal History

I didn't really know
my grandmother, I
realize, when
the teacher sets
us loose into
the cauldron of
our memories.

She probably
sat in the cramped,
dusty kitchen, chewing
her noodles,
like the other grandmas.

She was famed
for fire tossing,
says my mother,
        but only
              when I ask. Nobody taught my mother anything.

I abandon her
creaky body, wrapped
loose in a diaper, housed
in a moving steel cage, last time I saw her

        and go to help my mother rinse the spinach four times.

Her bulldog face, her shirt of earth, already swimming in the dirt.




                                           My grandfather
                                                               I see
                                                      at the table, bent
                                                     over, almost crouching,
                                                            creased,
                                                            with a magnifying
                                                     glass for the characters
                                                            in the newspaper.
                                                                    In the dark,
                                                     waiting to catch whoever
                                                            goes by in an act of
                                                                    insolence.


In my memory, he is always proper and trimmed.

                                                            But now newly
                                    whiskered, grieving
                                                over a woman I don't know,

                                                                    this patriarch
ticks in the corner,                                                     waiting his turn.


Memory in Water, Twins

That day's egg into the brine of the saltpan. I hold my memory in water.
Sun tossed me off the slough. The sky searches for me down in the spit of bacon. Ring of wooden coffee, your smile again.
       I separate my blood from your oily thirst, my tendon from your bursting skin, my sullen mud from your practical boot.
       I thought you my opposite twin, dancing in tandem with our bright shoulders.
             Naming each steppe, indent and grow grass among us.
You monitor me through the lipids on the screen, blinking into the night.
       I wish I broke my pen on the griddle to stop production. To pull myself from the flame.


Lavish

The boat split in half, but I
did not hear its concise journey or
the moment of its lightning
reincarnation
      Not wood or balm,
      not wind –
             I was the one in the boat, I was the blue
             body, but I could not
            reach the water, not roiling
                   through the iris,
                   not connected to any mouths
Swallowing the deep spit of a
fragile heart that doubts all
it knows about survival





Ching-In Chen is the author of The Heart's Traffic (Arktoi Books/Red Hen Press). Daughter of Chinese immigrants, she is a Kundiman, Macondo and Lambda Fellow. A community organizer, she has worked in the Asian American communities of San Francisco, Oakland, Riverside and Boston. She can be found at www.chinginchen.com

More information on the book here.
Related Opportunities:
Ranked: 500 highest-paying publications for freelance writers
The Freelance 500 Report (2015 Edition, 138 pages) profiles the highest-paying markets, ranked to help you decide which publication to query first. The info and links in this report are current. Details here.