Featured Poem: My August Moon and the January Eclipse by Rinzu Rajan

07 May 2011
Featured Poem: My August Moon and the January Eclipse by Rinzu Rajan
My August Moon And the January Eclipse

i) I have felt the smudged smoke
blaze into a forest fire, and the ether
drowning my chaste figurine
in its swelling pride,
even then there has been an urge
to offer myself as a victim
to their cannibalism
only to be able to eradicate
the pollution, a bastardized love
caused to my marrow.

ii) In torment, the ulcers dangled
on my parchment like beaded pearls
each shining like a souvenir
metaphorically penning memoirs
of betrayal on my forehead.
For once I had learnt to wear those
embroidered rags given to me by him
his mother, sister and friends,
canonizing me as a whore.

iii) Since then I have seized
the meaning of what a stinking swain
can really do to your soul,
perform a "love me" and "love me not" act
denuding a rose and letting her bleed white
I haven't since looked for the silver stars,
condoning creatures more humane and beautiful
than my culprit of love and perhaps once
when I saw an August moon gleaming mercifully
on my horizon, I decided to let him walk away
for I feared another January eclipse
and perhaps I knew
I could never be his sky.


RINZU RAJAN started writing in early 2007 and has been attending workshops and events to sharpen her skills. She believes that poetry is a wonderful gift and with encouraging support from other poets, the gift of words can be perfected and the art can be carried to a level of gracility that appeals to the layman as well as other authors. She is a formal poet and has written in more than 30 forms.
Related Opportunities:
Ranked: 500 highest-paying publications for freelance writers
The Freelance 500 Report (2015 Edition, 138 pages) profiles the highest-paying markets, ranked to help you decide which publication to query first. The info and links in this report are current. Details here.